top of page
  • Ann Sheeley

Thanksgiving on the Road - An Important Message To Travelers

Updated: Apr 15

If you are hitting the road this Thanksgiving, you are not alone. This year, AAA predicts that approximately 55.4 million Americans will be traveling at least 50 miles to get to Thanksgiving dinner, the vast majority of whom — 49.13 million — will be driving to their destination.(1)

Traffic, Thanksgiving Weekend

A dangerous combination of traffic, stress, distracted drivers and developing weather storms that are expected to bring heavy rain and snow throughout the week, puts everyone on the road at risk. We at Sheeley Law want you to get to your destination safely. Nothing can put a damper on your plans like getting in an accident, particularly if the crash happens while you are driving in another state.

What To Do If You’ve Been in an Accident Out-of-State or with an Out-of-State Driver:

Sheeley Law routinely represents people who have been injured in out-of-state car and truck accidents, as well as those who have been injured by out-of-state drivers. Knowing what steps to take immediately following an accident is important to ensure you receive the care and compensation you need for medical bills, lost wages and any other losses you may incur.

The first thing you need to know is that no matter how far away from home you are, you are most likely covered by your auto insurance policy. While the majority of car insurance policies cover all areas within the U.S., we still recommend that you double check your policy’s territory limits as an added precaution.

If you’ve been injured in an accident due to another driver’s negligence while traveling across state lines, you should proceed the same way you would as if you were in your home state. That means remaining calm, assessing yourself and passengers for any injuries, and contacting the police immediately. For more tips on what to do after an accident, read our blog: Eight Critical Steps You Need to Take If You’ve Been in a Car Accident

The most important thing you should do after an accident – in addition to getting medical treatment if needed – is contact an experienced personal injury attorney in your home state, even if the accident occurred in another state.

Sheeley Law has successfully represented injured clients throughout Rhode Island and Massachusetts, as well as accidents that have occurred in New York, New Jersey, New Hampshire, Connecticut and Florida, to name just a few states. Attorney Ann Sheeley will guide you through the process, protect your rights and ensure you get maximum compensation.

For more information or a free consultation, contact Rhode Island Personal Injury Attorney Ann Sheeley at 401-619-5555 or email

No matter your destination, Sheeley Law hopes you have a happy and safe Thanksgiving!


bottom of page