As the weather gets nice and the days get longer, the number of motorcycle accidents spike. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), about two-thirds of all motorcycle accidents involve another vehicle, and in most cases, it is the driver of the vehicle who is at fault. Unfortunately, bikers are more vulnerable and are likely to incur serious or deadly injuries from an accident.
At Sheeley Law, we are committed to protecting and advocating for the rights of Rhode Island motorcycle accident victims. By understanding the common causes of motorcycle crashes and taking steps to prevent them, both bikers and drivers can work together to make the roads safer for everyone.
The top causes of vehicles causing a motorcycle accident include:
1) Lane changes: When a driver fails to check their mirrors or blind spots before changing lanes and collides with a motorcycle or forces them off the road.
2) Left-turn collisions: When a driver cuts off a motorcycle while turning left because they fail to see the bike approaching or underestimate the speed at which the motorcycle is traveling.
3) Rear-end collisions: When a driver is following too closely to a motorcycle and does not have enough time to stop for sudden braking or reductions in speed.
4) Distracted driving: When a driver fails to pay attention because they are distracted by their phone, passengers or other factors and is unable to react to the motorcycle’s movements in time.
5) Drunk or impaired driving: When the operator of a vehicle is under the influence of alcohol or drugs, it leads to reckless behavior, such as speeding, swerving, or running red lights, all of which increase the likelihood of an accident. This is a particularly dangerous situation for bikers. In many cases, the motorcyclist is thrown from the bike and may suffer severe injuries such as broken bones, spinal cord damage, a traumatic brain injury, or even death. It is crucial for all drivers to recognize the dangers of drunk driving and make responsible choices when getting behind the wheel.
While statistics show vehicle drivers are more often at fault, motorcyclists can - and do - cause accidents. Below are the top triggers that bikers need to avoid:
1) Speeding or aggressive riding
2) Lane splitting, i.e. riding between two lanes of slow-moving or stopped traffic
4) Failure to wear bright or reflective clothing/gear at night
5) Riding under the influence of alcohol or drugs
Why Motorcycle Accident Victims Need a Personal Injury Attorney:
A personal injury attorney who advocates for motorcyclists’ rights and has specific knowledge about motorcycle and accident laws in Rhode Island can provide an invaluable service to someone who has been injured in a motorcycle crash. If you or someone you know has been involved in a motorcycle accident, it's important to seek legal representation as soon as possible.
Here's why hiring a Motorcycle Accident Attorney is important:
1) They will guide you through the complicated legal process
Personal injury cases, especially those involving motorcycles, are complex and time-consuming. A reputable personal injury lawyer like Ann Sheeley will guide you each step of the way throughout the entire process and help you avoid common pitfalls, such as accepting the first, low-ball settlement offer. They will also handle all the paperwork, court filings and negotiations, so you can focus on your recovery.
2) They can help you get the compensation you deserve
Insurance companies often refuse at first to pay fair compensation, even when the other driver was clearly at fault. The accident victim’s injuries may not be properly assessed, and the full costs of future medical care may not be taken into consideration. An experienced motorcycle accident lawyer will calculate the full extent of your damages, including medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. They will also fiercely negotiate with the insurance companies to secure you maximum compensation.
3) They will fight for your rights
The unfortunate reality is there is a lot of prejudice against motorcycle riders. The right personal injury lawyer in Rhode Island will stand up for you and ensure your rights are protected.
4) They can aid you in the recovery process
Dealing with the aftermath of an accident can be emotionally and physically challenging. A compassionate attorney can provide the support and guidance you need to get through this difficult time. At Sheeley Law, we work hard to improve an accident victim’s quality of life by not only obtaining the compensation they deserve, but by also helping victims get the proper medical care and rehabilitation services necessary to aid in the recovery process.
Remember to have fun but ride with caution this summer. If you or a loved one are injured in a motorcycle accident, Sheeley Law is here to help. Rhode Island Motorcycle Accident Attorney Ann Sheeley has represented hundreds of victims in her more than 25 years of experience and provides aggressive, results-driven representation for injured motorcycle riders and the families of fatal accident victims. We are here for you 24/7. For a free consultation, contact us at 401-619-5555 or firstname.lastname@example.org.